The Potting Shed indoor and outdoor garden centre
Find all you need to grow
To maximise the health & wellbeing benefits of gardening, visitors can look forward to browsing a great range of top-quality plants, gardening essentials, tools and gifts in our Potting Shed. Our friendly plant experts and horticulturists are always on hand to help you find and choose just the right plants and accessories for your garden, with plenty of genuinely helpful advice and useful tips to make the most of your growing experience.
Potting Shed Essentials
Pop down to our Potting Shed to find all of your garden essentials to feed and weed your plants and feather friends, whilst caring for and growing your garden. Whether you’re an avid gardener or a passionate plant enthusiast, our specially selected range of outdoor tools and gardening gifts will surprise you.
In addition to various composts we also offer a range of peat-free and organic composts and will continue to work with the Ilkley Climate Action group to educate our customers on the choices available. We know how difficult it is to carry heavy items such as compost, soil and decorative bark to your car, so we provide a Heavy Item Carry to Car service. Follow our 3 easy steps to benefit from the service.
Heavy Item Carry to Car Service
We know how difficult it is to carry heavy items such as compost, soil and decorative bark to your car, so we provide a Heavy Item Carry to Car service. Follow these 3 easy steps in-store.
- Choose your compost, bark and or decorative stone, before selecting the product tag(s) off the display unit located near to the item.
- Take the tag to a payment point to pay and keep your receipt as proof of purchase
- Collect your heavy items at the collection point located on the drive down to the overflow car park, at the far end of the outdoor plant area.
Outdoor Plant Inspiration
With our passion for plants, we champion the very best of British Growers, selecting and nurturing an exciting range of trees, plants and shrubs that will help you create a home and garden you love. We’ve made it easier for you to choose, by carefully displaying our outdoor plants and flowers by colour – from classic whites to soft pinks and blooming reds to full colour, we have something for everyone. We are so confident in the quality of our hardy plants, that we are pleased to offer a lifetime guarantee on them. Discover more about our Plant Promise.
Lifetime guarantee for hardy plants
We are so confident in the quality of our hardy plants, that we are pleased to offer a lifetime guarantee on them. We will gladly provide a replacement of the same plant, a plant of the same value or a credit note provided that the hardy plant has not been neglected and has been looked after correctly. Simply return the plant, along with proof of purchase or a Moss & Moor plant label.
A hardy plant is one that will withstand a normal winter outside. This guarantee therefore excludes bedding plants, half hardy plants, container-grown Christmas Trees and house plants. Please do ensure you follow the care instructions and provide extra care in times of extreme weather conditions.
Great time of year to plant
It might not seem like it, but it is a good time of year because the weather is cool and wet but the soil is still warm from the summer – making conditions ideal to get planting and get a head start on Spring. We have fresh deliveries of trees, roses, fruit bushes and shrubs in anticipation for a good planting season.We also have a great selection of winter bedding plants such as pansy and violas to brighten up your tubs and hanging baskets through those dark winter months.
How to keep your houseplants looking good!
Most houseplants are killed by overwatering, so here are some tips we want to share. Click below to…
- Keep compost moist, almost dried out before watering.
- Generally, water plants from above and put saucers under plants to allow excess water to drain.
- Specialist and tropical plants enjoy a daily mist using a hand spray.
- Going on holiday? Water all pots thoroughly, place in a shady room.
- Small pots are best left in a sink lined with a towel soaked in water.
FEEDING AND MAINTAINING
- Feed flowering plants once a week.
- Remove dying flowers and yellowing leaves.
- Clean off any dust with a piece of cotton wool dipped in water.
- Rub off any bugs from the stems with a piece of cotton wool.